Monday, November 5, 2012

Mythic Moments in the Scriptures and Life

I decide what I want to blog about by pinpointing what especial aspect of Lewisnian literature has been most clogging my mind over the past week. This means that I'm often out of sync with the class (we're studying Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe right now), but I think it's for the best. This is my thing after all, and I do what I want. :P

So! The concept that's been most on my mind lately is that of Myth; specifically Lewis' concept of 'Myth Became Fact'. Lewis defines a myth in his essay "On Myth" (clever title) as having 6 specific aspects. A Myth:

1) Is extra-literary. It doesn't matter how it's written; it's the story itself that counts.

2) Doesn't depend on suspense or surprise.

3) Doesn't play on Human Sympathies (Pathos). We don't project ourselves strongly into the characters.

4) Is fantastic--deals with impossibles.

5) Is always grave, never comic.

6) Inspires awe. It feels important.

In my New Testament class we've been studying the parables recently...and after reflecting on this definition of myth, I think that's what they are. The aspect of myth that I like particularly is the first one--that it's extra literary. Have you ever read something where the writing's really good, but the story's not very compelling? Myths (and Parables) are basically the opposite of that. It's the plotline that makes the story compelling, not how the story is told. 

On a second, slightly more lighthearted note, I love Lewis' idea as Myth as Fact, or Myth becoming real. He references this in Perelandra, when Ransom feels both like himself having the adventure, and 'the man' having the adventure. Do you ever feel this way? Like there should be a soundtrack playing in your head as you go forth to do this great thing or have that big talk? In certain circumstances we feel our actions to have more weight then they do in regular life--the day we feel we are going to be proposed to, for example, or the day we go in for that momentous interview. The day we discuss the Gospel with a friend could also be an instance where you feel that it is you acting, but not you alone. The feeling that this story will be one of great importance, one you tell again and again adds gravity to your words and doings, creating a mythic aura around all that you do. Another great label for it is being guided by the Spirit, giving up control and letting your life unfold to stunning new pathways you weren't sure existed. It happens my friends, not always, but when we are ready. And those are some of my favorite moments.

2 comments:

  1. Just a thought. Parables by definition have to be so possible that they likely have happened. Which contradicts the 4th point on what makes something a Myth. Otherwise they are pretty similar. I think in the notes of Jesus the Christ it goes into more details about the differences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely fair. I just saw a few parallels and wanted to bring those out. :)

    ReplyDelete